Top 4 Tools to Keep Your Data Secure
Data is your most valuable, and potentially most vulnerable, asset. A breach in its security can have devastating effects on your dealership and your customers. Unfortunately, the automotive industry has not yet established a standard for policies, processes and procedures that work to ensure data security and protect the privacy of consumer information. The financial industry, however, has—SSAE-16 Certification.
The tools below are designed to help you keep your dealership's data secure—from checklists that lead you through what to look for in potential vendors to best practices to establish inside your dealership to a nondisclosure form you can use for reference, as well as helpful information about SSAE-16 Certification and its benefits.
6 Mistakes You Never Want to Make
- Partner with a vendor that is not SSAE Certified or that cannot provide documentation of policies, processes and procedures that ensure the security, confidentiality and integrity of your data
- Fail to have vendors sign non-disclosure agreements
- Forget to terminate the account and disable associated user names and passwords when a vendor's contract expires
- Send data via insecure technology: for example, email or fax
- Grant unrestricted access within your dealership to CRM, DMS, intranet, social media, website and email
- Share user names and passwords—or display them near workstations